Filed under News

A Dream Come True

When I was born I weighed one pound, and I had countless surgeries to keep me stable. The doctors thought I was going to die. When I was placed in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, I was called one of the miracle babies. In July of 1997, when I was three months old, my parents were interviewed for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Telethon. The interview was conducted by none other than News 10: ABC, Albany’s own Elisa Streeter. This winter I emailed her on a whim, hoping for an autograph at least. What I received was far more than I could have ever imagined. Streeter invited me to spend a day on the set.

When we arrived, Streeter personally greeted us at the door. I met another journalism student who toured with us. We were shown the meeting rooms where they hash out the daily top stories, the audio recording studio, a huge server that holds all information, the control room, and the space where all of the staff work. Cast members and other staff constantly monitor all types of media, including Twitter and Facebook, for breaking stories. Streeter said, “We are big into social media here,” and joked by saying, “But I only monitor my kids.”

As we walked out onto the set, Streeter said, “People say the set looks larger in real life than on TV.” She was right. On television you only see the main news desks and weather station; you don’t see the back of the house stage. We then sat in the anchor chairs with Streeter, which made for a great photo opportunity. She tried to make our experience as authentic as possible by projecting the footage that was going to be used in the 4 o’clock broadcast.

Our next stop: the weather office. I watch Steve Caporizzo (Chief Meteorologist for News 10) all the time. I don’t know why, but I was not expecting to run into him. When I explained I was writing an article for my school newspaper, Steve remarked to me, “Oh, well, you better take a lot of pictures then.”

Finally, we watched a live newscast. We observed the first half from the control room. During the longest break of the broadcast, Streeter took us out on the live set. We only had about 30 seconds between segments, and then we had to run before the news went back on television. I found it interesting that the news and weather correspondents rely on an earpiece and a TelePrompTer to deliver the news. Streeter stated that Caporizzo can sometimes be found, “flicking the earpiece out if he wants to go on his own agenda.”

What keeps flashing through my head is this all started with. . . I guess you would call it a dream or a wish. After we said our goodbyes, I reflected on what a wonderful experience this was. It makes me think of something Walt Disney said: “All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.”